1 Corinthians 11:23-24
Ring analogy: If you drop a ring down the drain and you try and get it, your fingers accidently push it further away, rather then bringing it closer. We are doing that to the young generations at church.
- Defined: new information that drastically changes how we see the world around us.
- Life is defined by how we see it. Everybody perceives it differently, like when you wear sunglasses, same trees/bushes/grass, but it looks different.
- Peter walking on the water- 11 desciples decided to stay on the safe, small, limited boat- peter took a risk, left all that was familiar but you cannot walk out here and think back there or you'll sink.
- Boat person; skeptical, thats not how we used to do it, thinking in limited pool of past experiences example: thats not how you get the Holy Ghost.
- Ocean person- get out off the boat willing to look and see if God is trying to show us something, to let us walk on water
- The desiples were not about to take communion, but to have Passover. They were about to reflect on their past, until Jesus spoke. he wants them to understand who he was for them and the world.
- We pass judgement based on past experiences. But people cant always see the change.
- God wants to show you a new revelation. Not allowing the world to tell you who you are, or defining yourself by past experiences.
- God asked Adam who TOLD you that you were naked? Now we ask who told you that you were: fat, broke, ugly, addicted. God is saying: No. I know I have called you. I will define you. Not the world. Not your past.
- You can know God but God is a mystery
- The bible is all true, everything true in life is not in the bible
- Beliefs matter, people matter more
- Curtain Rods Analogy: all laws rest on love. You don't not commit adultry because it's wrong, you don't do it because you love your spouse. All laws will remain unbroken if we live a life based on love.
Jesus wants the drivers seat, we have to move out of the familiar and allow Him the ability to steer our life. It may be uncomfortable, but is necessary. We cannot allow fear to stop us, we must get our foot off of the break and say I am willing to follow you. It takes faith.
We do not know everything about God. or the Bible. or our relationship with God. There is ALWAYS more to learn. It's called the Curse of knowledge, if we think we know everything and are unwilling to learn, or see it in a different light then we will fail.
In order to progress you must forsake.